Monday, October 17, 2016

Is income-based repayment the answer to the student-loan issue?

Donald Trump seems to think so, according to a speech he gave last week in Ohio.  Clinton, too, has given indications she would support such an approach.  Under Trump's plan, no one would pay more than 12.5% of her income toward loan repayment and eventually the remainder would get forgiven.

So... back in the 1960s, student loans were still labeled National Defense Loans, as the Cold War proceeded in full flame in Vietnam and elsewhere.  I ran up $3000 in debt as I majored in Phi Kappa Psi at Franklin & Marshall College.  Then began a long deferment.

First, I was in the Coast Guard for four years and not required to make any payments.  Then, while working at Case Western Reserve as communication director, I also took took two graduate courses a semester, sufficient to continue deferring repayment of the three large.

And then I was off to law school for three years of full-time study.  Not only was the loan again eligible for a deferment, but I collected my VA education benefits to boot.

Only after leaving law school in 1981 --- 14 years after graduating from F&M --- did I finally commence repaying the loan.

Many others had similar experiences.  If memory serves me, those who entered K-12 teaching got portions of their loans forgiven, not merely deferred, up to perhaps half the total obligation.

My point, I guess, is that there have always been ways in which college grads could get some loan relief.  Back in my day, the deferments and deductions were targeting at public-policy goals, such as making it easier to serve in the armed forces or encouraging young people to teach.

Whether relief based on the relative success or failure of the individual alum is the best policy to pursue today may be a matter for debate.  And no doubt, no matter who wins next months election, that debate will take place.


No comments:

Post a Comment